Poached Figs in Vanilla Citrus Syrup
- 1 cup loose, whole dried baby figs
- zest of 1 clementine or of 1/2 an orange
- juice of 1/2 a small lemon
- 3/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. powdered cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- white sugar to taste – between a small pinch and 1/2 tsp.
Put the figs in a small, non-reactive saucepan with just enough cold water to cover them. Stir in all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the flame to low, cover the pot and let simmer until the figs are nice and plump. Don’t cook them so long that they fall apart (Cooking time will vary depending on how dry the uncooked fruit is to begin with).
When the figs are plump, remove the pot from the heat and set it aside to cool. The syrup should be quite liquid. Remove the cloves and serve the figs in their syrup, either alone or spooned over Greek yogurt.